February 10, 2009

Journalists, Apparently, Don't Eat

I headed in to work this morning having no idea what they were going to have me do. I'm fine with that - adds a little bit of excitement to my day.

So I got there around 9:45 a.m., and just kind of checked emails, poked around on news sites, etc., until Keith came over and told me I would be covering a hearing today. A hearing about lead in the water from 2004 that is still being investigated and dealt with. It was about 10:15 a.m. by this point, and the hearing was at 11 a.m., and I had to walk to the building. So I booked it.

The hearing was very long. It went until about 4:15 p.m. with no breaks whatsoever. So, since they didn't allow food in the room where the hearing was going on, I just didn't eat. Again. But I had lunch to eat this time - so there was a difference.

Since the hearing had been so long and my story needed to be on the page at 7 p.m., they asked me to find a place with wi-fi so I could just file my story from wherever I was. The wi-fi in the building I was in wasn't working, but I was just down the street from the National Press Building, which I knew had a Corner Bakery in it, which I knew had wi-fi. So I headed there.

Only Corner Bakery's wi-fi wasn't working. So I just wrote my story. Wrote it all up. And ate my sandwich because I was starving. And then ran up to the National Press Club to see if they had wireless. I figured they were journalists - they MUST have wireless access somehow.

Well, they did. The receptionist told me to go to the library. But there was no one in the library. So I asked this random guy to help me, and he very kindly told me where they had ethernets that I could plug into. Then he asked me if I was new and said, "Welcome to the club" in an Indian accent.

So I got my story filed. On time. Woot. Headed back to the office so he could talk to me about it (I knew it was far from perfect). Did a little work on it and finally headed home around 6:30 p.m.

Got home and went to Safeway with Danielle (roommate). We're having another progressive dinner tomorrow night with our floor and we're in charge of dessert. So everyone decided that I should make eclair cake. I got groceries tonight and have already made the first part. I just have to wait a little while to do the frosting.

Backing up a couple of days, Sunday night I cleaned the upstairs bathroom, and cleaned my very first toilet. The whole experience was utterly horrifying due to our lack of cleanliness apparently in this apartment. Never again, I vow, will it get that bad. BLEH.

Yesterday was a very chill day. Class in the morning, and very short class in the afternoon. So Karin and I took our novels that we are reading for fun and went to Ebenezer's and read for like, two hours. It was beautiful. It was calm and relaxing and I was just in a wonderful state of mind.

Then we had family dinner, which consisted of heart-shaped chipotle meatloaf. I couldn't see the heart shape, but it sure was spicy. I don't think I've ever had spicy meatloaf before.

We just chatted. My table was once again the last to leave. Karin, Zack, Mark, Andrea, me and Jason. It was really fun.

Did laundry. Laid on my bed with Karin and reflected long and hard about life. Hit the sack.

And tomorrow's a brand new day!

1 comment:

Gaelic Gopher said...

Way to track down the WiFi! Woot