Hello. It’s been a while. There’s actually been a lot going on.Today was work. Still is work, I guess, but I’m pretty much done. Not a hard day. I wrote my profile of the triathlon lady and did a Q&A with a neighborhood watch guy for the crime section. Tracking down someone to interview from the neighborhood watch program was interesting, but it eventually worked out.
And Mom and Dad, I used the Subway card today. Thank you very much. I got a chicken bacon ranch footlong. Ate half. I’ll finish it tonight maybe. It was delicious.
No plans for the evening thus far. Karin was talking about going to the intern Bible study at Capitol Hill Baptist, but I’m going to be honest and say I’m completely exhausted because we were up late every night this weekend and last night, and I just really need to go to bed early early early.
Alright. Recap.
Thursday
Went to Target after work and met Karin and Danielle there. We shopped a bit. Got back to the apartments around 8 p.m. Had dinner. Watched The Office!!! Ended up staying and watching 30 Rock, too. I'd never watched it. It's funny. I really like Tina Fey.
Just relaxed the rest of the evening. Read. Wrote. Slept. Beautiful.
Friday
Class in the morning with a guest speaker from Religion News Service. She gave us a bunch of tips on interviewing and asking questions and doing research beforehand. Then she also gave some interesting insight on how to still be a mother and have a family as a journalist.
Break for lunch. Afternoon class, which was pretty short. Erin called me, and I got to talk to her for a while. Then WJC went to Ebenezer's per tradition. After Ebenezer's, a group of us went to the National Press Club for dinner. On Friday nights, they have an all-you-can-eat taco bar that is free if you buy a drink. So we all ordered $2 sodas and got free tacos and nachos that we got to make ourselves! And they were really good.
When we were done eating, we explored the Press Club a bit. We hadn't spent a whole lot of time in there yet, so we figured we should learn how it's laid out. They have great photos and historical stuff in there. We also found a room that was set up like it was ready for a press conference. So we held a fake press conference, where Mandi stepped in as a representative for Johnson & Johnson, and Andrea asked why their band-aids were racist.
Headed back to the apartments, read Kite Runner for a little while, and then we started getting dressed up because we were going to an 80s dance club!
One of my roommates and a couple other girls had gone to this club called the Black Cat on U St. a couple weeks ago, and loved it, and they were having an 80s night, so we decided to go all out. 11 girls from our programs got all dressed up in our 80s gear and headed out to this club. It was a blast. We were the only people dressed up, but it didn't matter - there were 11 of us. They played some fun music and we had a great time dancing and hanging out. (Photo at top)
Saturday
Valentine's Day. Slept until about 11:30 a.m., woke up, got ready, etc. Went with a couple other girls to Georgetown, where we ate at a Spanish Tapas place. I got grilled lamb chops and then Karin and I split chicken skewers. The food was delicious, but very, very small servings.
Then we walked around the water for a while, just enjoying the beauty of the setting sun. There was a fountain that we took
pictures by for a little while, and while we were there, a man and his girlfriend were taking pictures in the same spot. He caught my eye and asked if I would take their picture, I was happy to so I took the camera and took their picture by the fountain. I went to hand the camera back and he held up a finger to me and said, “Hold that thought. Make sure you get this.”And he goes down on one knee and proposes to his girlfriend. And I was responsible for taking pictures of it. Pressured much? His camera was extremely slow, so I missed the initial moment of him going down on one knee, but I got a bunch of good ones after that. And then I told them to reenact the initial moment and I got a picture of it that time.
It was pretty crazy. It was sweet, but really, who trusts some random girl on the street to take their proposal pictures? Good thing I can take decent pictures.
Then we called it an evening, and headed back to the bus. On the way back Karin and I bought each other flowers from this crazy and very affectionate Italian guy on the street. I got purple tulips and she got white carnations.
The bus took almost 45 minutes to show up, but we eventually got back, had some dinner and made some of our Valentine’s Day cookies. Then we got all comfy and watched “An Affair to Remember” in my bed on her laptop. We’ve decided that my bed feels a little bit like a fort since it’s the bottom bunk. So we like to hide in there sometimes. Haha. But overall, it was a very excellent Valentine’s Day.
Sunday
Church in the morning – went to Capitol Hill Baptist! It was very traditional and very long (2 hour service) but I enjoyed it. They had the free college/intern lunch after service, so we stayed for that. We had meatloaf and potatoes, and I don’t know whether this is just an East Coast thing, or what, but I am definitely not used to having stuff in my meatloaf. My mom’s meatloaf is just the meat with ketchup on it and it’s great. But out here, both times I’ve had it, there’s all this other stuff in it – veggies, beans, bacon. It’s not bad, I’ve just been very thrown off by this.
Anyways. We stayed for a very long time at the lunch, just talking and waiting for the pizza (since they ran out of food). We didn’t leave the church until after 3 p.m. The whole thing was very traditional, but I really enjoyed the community it offered. It seemed like they have a lot of good opportunities to get involved and meet people. I liked that.
Went back to the apartments, and Karin and I decided we were bored and wanted to go somewhere. We decided on the National Zoo. So we rounded up a bunch of people and headed out to the zoo – Chris, Mark, Zack, Jason, Jeremy, and Karin and I. We got there about 4:30ish and they closed at 6 p.m., so we didn’t have that long and we didn’t actually get to see that many animals, but it was still fun. We saw cheetahs and an emu and a “red panda” that actually looks like a fox. It’s adorable. I want one.
Returned to the apartments and had dinner, then cleaned the downstairs bathroom for my chore this week. Pretty much just hung out the rest of the night.
Monday
Class in the morning, class in the afternoon. After the second class, Karin and I went to go read for fun again at Ebenezer’s. Unfortunately, the top half was full and the bottom was closed for a private thing, so we couldn’t stay, so we went to Corner Bakery in Union Station and read there.
I finished Kite Runner on Saturday and it was incredible. So terribly sad and moving. My heart just wrenched for these characters. But a fantastic story.
I needed to process the end a bit, so I reread a couple sections of Kite Runner, and then moved on. My next book is Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger. I don’t know much about it, but it’s been recommended to me by a couple of people, so we’ll see.
We came back for family dinner, which was chicken pot pie. Good stuff. Sat with a couple of our ASP roommates and a lot of other ASP girls. Danielle’s boyfriend applied to be on TrueLife, and so we spent most of the meal speculating about what the topic could be.
Then we went upstairs and actually watched portions of a couple episodes of TrueLife, because none of us had ever actually watched it.
Worship night was at 9 p.m., and it was really good. I am so thankful that we have people who will do that. It’s such a refreshing thing, and it helps me refocus.
Talked to Mandi for a while, and then grabbed my computer and recorder and headed down to the library in the building so I could finish transcripting my interview from the other day. Finished around midnight and headed to bed.
That’s it.

No comments:
Post a Comment