February 4, 2009

Day 2

Day 2 went much smoother. Haha.

I woke up, caught the bus at 9 a.m. with Shanley and Mandi again, and the ride was much quicker. I got there a little after 9:30 a.m., and headed straight up to the newsroom. I worked on finishing my story about the group homes, and had it in to Cathy by noon - and I felt much better about it. I was able to get a bunch of quotes from the portion of the video that I had missed, and the story just fell together much nicer. I actually feel pretty good about it, and it's supposed to print tomorrow!

My first clip =)

I spent the rest of the day calling universities about the story I'm working on about how the economy will be affecting the schools. That was pretty much it. Not earth shattering, but at least I felt like I was doing a real job. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

And I at lunch today. I packed myself a sandwich last night and took it with me and ate at my desk. And I found the bathroom with the help of the guy in the front of the office, Paul. And I found the kitchen. I'm slowly learning about the office. It's good.

I left around 5:30 p.m. and stopped by Starbucks because I was pretty tired. Then I caught the bus back, and Shanley and Mandi just happened to be on the same bus going back at the same exact time. So we rode back together too. It was pretty awesome. We take books with us to read since it's such a long trip out there, so I've started Kite Runner. I'll let you know how that's going. I'm not really far enough in yet to say what I think.

Then tonight, the three apartments on my floor of the building were having a progressive dinner. My apartment was in charge of appetizers, the girls next door were the entrée and the guys were in charge of dessert. We didn't really plan well, so my roommates bought some bagel bites and pizza rolls and we served those. Then the girls next door made tortilla soup for the main dish, and it was DELICIOUS. And the boys bought ice cream. A LOT of ice cream. The guys in that apartment are very musical, so when we were done eating our dessert, we all had a big sing-a-long, with the guys playing guitar. It was a blast. Genuinely really fun.

And that's pretty much been today. I have two papers due for class on Friday that I really need to be working on, but I think I spend enough time looking at a computer screen and writing for 8 hours a day already. I don't want to come home and keep doing that. I want something more active and interactive. But oh well. It has to be done.

Yep. Not too exciting, but it was a good day.

1 comment:

KMcIntosh said...

Rachelle!

I'm so glad you are having fun.

I miss you. Someone was having grilled cheese the other day and I thought of you.