Last night's progressive dinner was a hit. The boys did the appetizers, so we basically had chips and dip and fruit roll-ups. Fruit roll-ups are delicious. Then we had made pancakes, bacon, and eggs (which was an adventure - at least I'm pretty secure in my breakfast food making abilities), which was a large hit. And we made just the right amount. We only had one pancake left over, and Karin shoved it in my mouth. I grabbed the part that was left hanging out and threw it at her, at which point she decided that I had wronged her (logic?) and stuck the rest of the pancake down the back of my shirt.
Glad we're so grown up.
For dessert the girls next door made brownies with ice cream, and then we played that animal signs game - the concentration one? If you saw it, you'd know what I was talking about. Then we played another similar one. Believe me it gets crazy with that many people!
Then I just relaxed. I did word searches after we cleaned up the kitchen. It was beautiful.
This morning, the inevitable happened. It hadn't happened yet, and I was kind of hoping it wouldn't ever have to happen. But it's such a signature of myself that it was bound to happen at one point or another.
I overslept.
I woke up at 8:49 a.m., 11 minutes before the bus comes. No way was I going to catch that, and fortunately, I don't have a super specific time I have to be in the office, and I've been going in about a half hour earlier than they originally told me anyways. So even though I wasn't really late, I was later than I'd ever been. And I didn't know when the bus would be there, so I decided to just brave the walk to Union Station and Metro it this morning. Worked out fine. Nobody even noticed that I was later than usual.
About 15 minutes after I got there, I was asked by my editor if I wanted to brave the DC Council again. Last time was a little scary, so I was a bit wary, but of course I said yes. So off I went, back to the Wilson building to cover a hearing about fire hydrants that don't work. It started at 10 a.m., and I wasn't given the assignment until 10:25 a.m., so I booked it. But I got there for the important stuff.
It only lasted about another hour after I got there, so it wasn't as overwhelming as it was last time. AND I had done it before, so I knew I could talk to people afterwards, so I talked to the chairman of the committee and one of the main witnesses after the hearing was over and got better quotes and more clear information.
Came back to the office, wrote the story, turned it in and was given the thumbs up from my editor. We just had to change a few things. Much better feelings about the DC Council this time.
Now I'm pretty much done, but I'm meeting some other WJCers in Chinatown for dinner at 6, so I'm trying to waste some time. So I'm blogging. And doing my lede writing assignment for tomorrow.
Happy Birthday Grandma!!!
February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wondered when someone would oversleep...
Post a Comment