February 8, 2009

The Laziness Kicked In Again


I actually was pretty busy this time. Promise. But it was a little bit of laziness.

So we're going to have to recap again.

Thursday

Day 3 of my internship. Also, the day my first clip was published!!! Woot!

Went to work, where we decided not to continue my story on the universities, because the information I was finding wasn't supporting or denying our theory. So we just killed the story. But that left me with nothing to do for a while. That didn't last long.

I was given a short profile to do about a man who had run 12 marathons in 12 months in order to raise money for charity, so I called him and set up an interview for later that afternoon.

READ THAT STORY HERE.

Then, an AP release came through about a U.S. diplomat who was found dead in his home in Ethiopia and I had to call very important people and try to get information. Unfortunately, no one was confirming anything except GWU, so my editor basically had me compile the info from the AP release and the GWU story and give attribution pretty much everywhere to them.

READ THE ETHIOPIAN STORY HERE.

I had to spell "Ethiopia" for the lady that I called for info. Dear goodness.

So I wrote two stories at the same time! The diplomat one was deemed "perfect" by my editor, and the profile was good enough to not have to be sent back to me. So this was very good =) And I felt really good about the day.

Headed back to the apartments, made dinner (I've been eating a lot of grilled cheese lately. I'm pretty much a grilled cheese pro now), and watched The Office at 9 p.m. Excellent episode. Major shocker!

Then I went to work on my papers that were due the next day. Unfortunately, after sitting at a desk in a newsroom and staring at your computer for eight hours, the last thing you really want to do when you get home from work is stare at the computer and write some more. But I had no choice. I went to bed around 1:30 a.m. (which isn't too bad for me). I had been working on the papers at work a little bit while I was waiting for phone calls back and such, so I had a bit of a head start on them. And when I went to bed, I still had a little bit of work to do, but we didn't have to turn them in until 5 p.m. Friday and we had a two-hour lunch break. So I was golden.

Friday

Class in the morning. Talked about the new form of journalism that is emerging because of convergence. Lunch, where I finished my papers. Class again, at which we pretty much just talked about how our first week of internships had gone. Then we printed our papers out, and headed to Ebenezer's Coffeehouse.

Every Friday afternoon, the entire WJC group goes with Terry and Greg to this coffeeshop, Ebenezer's, where they buy us all coffee and we just sit and talk and enjoy each other's company. This was the first week we did it, but I believe we will be doing it from now on every Friday. Ebenezer's is run by the National Community Church that meets in Union Station that I've been going to, and it's a really cool little place. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Then a group of us went to Dupont Circle to find something to eat. We ended up at Bertucci's, an absolutely delicious Italian restaurant. I got a tortellini/chicken bake thing that was delicious. And they had the best bread in the whole entire world. I'm pretty sure I ate like, three rolls and took two more home with me.

Then we came back to the apartments and Zack, Mark, and Chris all came up to Karin and my apartment and we watched a couple episodes of The Office (season 3!) and then all ended up talking for a really long time. They didn't leave until like 2 a.m.

Saturday

I slept until about noon. Woke up and ate my leftovers from the night before. Showered. Then Karin and I walked to Safeway to get some more groceries. It was time. Everyone and their mom was at Safeway, so the longest part was probably standing in line to checkout.

Walked back. We were going to meet up with Natalee and Yvette and go grab dinner somewhere, but Yvette had left when we got back and Natalee decided not to go. So Karin and I went and put away our groceries (and one of the shelves fell down, so that was a fun mess to clean up), at which point Juliette called me and I got to talk to her for a while.

Karin and I walked to Union Station and went to Chinatown. We found a really cute Thai place and had dinner there. I ordered chicken pineapple, which was actually served literally in half a pineapple. We also got an appetizer of dumplings (yum). It was all delicious. Absolutely delicious. Totally worth it.


Then we got a call from Yvette saying some of the girls were going to get dressed up and go out for dessert, so we headed back for that, got dressed up and headed to the Cheesecake Factory.

We didn't even leave the apartments until almost 10:30 p.m., and Cheesecake closed at midnight, so were going to have to book it. Well, Karin looked up directions online, but they turned out to be a bit faulty. We got on the bus to take us to the metro, but it didn't take us to the metro and we ended up having no idea where we were. Eventually we decided to just get off and by the goodness of God, spotted a Metro station right across the street. So we were in business. We hopped on the Metro, and made our way up Cheesecake Factory, arriving about five minutes before midnight.

I felt bad, but they were really nice about it and seated us. When our waitress found out we just wanted cheesecake, I think she could have jumped for joy. I got banana creme cheesecake and it was delicious. Daddy, you would have loved it.

We had a really good time, just goofing off. It was Karin, me, Alyssa, Yvette, Christina, and Kati. We were taking pictures and for the life of her, Yvette COULD NOT keep her eyes open for the pictures. It was hilarious.

We headed back to the apartments, taking more pictures and then hit the bed. It was late. Again.

Sunday

Today was pretty uneventful. Went to church at Union Station again. Came back, made macaroni and cheese. Then I read Kite Runner for about an hour and then fell asleep. Not like, completely asleep, but I ended up dozing off and on for about three hours. It was beautiful. It was gorgeous outside and the window was open and it was just perfect.

When I woke up, I looked out the window and the sun was starting to set over the Capitol, so I went up to the roof and wrote in my journal and watched the sun set. It was absolutely amazing. It got a little chilly. But it was totally worth it.

That's pretty much been today. Karin and I are going to make our chicken alfredo now, then I have to clean the upstairs bathroom (since that's my chore this week) and then I have to get some stuff together for class tomorrow. It's been a super chill day, but I really enjoyed it.

That's it =)

No comments: