January 24, 2009

Pancakes and Thai Food

I was awakened this morning by one of my lovely roommates, Danielle, to the wonderful news that breakfast was ready. There were several fantastic factors to this announcement.

Factor 1: It was 11 a.m. I got to sleep in!
Factor 2: Breakfast was ready to be eaten.
Factor 3: I hadn't had to do anything to make breakfast be ready!

So I headed downstairs, where Danielle, another roommate Kati, and I enjoyed a beautiful spread of pancakes and clementine oranges/tangerines. The other roommates had engagements this morning, so it was just the three of us sitting around the table and chatting. It was lovely.

We cleaned everything up, then I showered and started work on the video of our scavenger hunt that had to be done by midnight tonight. Finally Karin came back, and Danielle, Kati, Karin and I headed out to walk around some of the monuments.

It was FREEZING. I'm pretty sure that was the coldest it has been since I've been here. Inauguration day was darned cold, but it wasn't windy, so we didn't have to deal with wind chill. Today was extremely windy and just really really cold.

We went to the Washington Monument with the hopes of climbing the stairs all the way to the top - unfortunately they stopped distributing tickets at 4:30 p.m., and it was almost 5 p.m. already. So we just looked at it and it was great. Then we walked past the frozen reflection pool and went up to Lincoln. After spending a little while there, we went to the Korean, and it was there that we decided it was just too cold, and we needed to save the rest for a day when we would actually enjoy standing outdoors and looking at the monuments.

So we headed to Eastern Market and tried a Thai restaurant we had recommended to us, Old Siam. It was delicious. I had some kind of chicken stir-fry that I can't pronounce, which obviously means it's awesome. It was fun having roommate time over fabulous food.

We still had to walk back in the freezing cold weather, so we stopped by Starbucks and got warm drinks. It helped a little.

By the time we got back to the apartment, I needed to finish my scavenger hunt video. One of the girls from my team, Christina, came down and worked on it with me. It turned out pretty awesome. We like it. And you should watch it.

Click on these words to go watch my video. It's sweet.

And that's pretty much it. We finished about an hour ago. We had some technical difficulties and were unable to use two of the videos we had taken. But we improvised and made it work. If working for a newspaper has taught me anything, it is knowing how to fix what seems unfixable.

Now I'm done. And tired. And about to go to bed. Tomorrow we're going to church in the movie theaters at Union Station. It'll be quite a party, I'm sure!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Your video is truly ridiculous in every way. Definitely makes me proud.